Banana bread has always been a staple in my family; this healthy whole wheat version can be served with a low fat cream or butter, or simply enjoyed with a cup of coffee or tea.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
1/4 cup oil (canola, vegetable or coconut)
1/4 cup plain /Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease and flour a 9″ by 5″ loaf pan. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon).
4. In another mixing bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (mashed bananas, oil, yogurt, vanilla and eggs). Add sugar, chopped walnuts and mix well.
5. Stir in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
7. Bake the bread for 45 to 50 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
8. Cool the bread in the pan to room temperature.
Recipe reprinted from Foodista.com – The Cooking Encyclopedia Everyone Can Edit.