Sweet potato casserole is a classic Thanksgiving side dish. Sometimes you will find it topped with mini marshmallows, or nuts as in this recipe. This sweet side dish compliments the robust stuffing, rich gravy, and savory turkey. Baked sweet potatoes are mashed with aromatic spices like cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg (a little cayenne pepper wouldn’t hurt either) that makes for a sweet and spicy side. If you can’t decide which topping you want, add them both! Sweet potato casserole is a side dish that everyone at the table will love.
2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), scrubbed
2 large eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted plus more for the preparing the pan
2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Put the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and pierce each one 2 or 3 times with a fork. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender.
3. Set aside to cool.
4. Turn the oven down to 350 degrees F
5. Scoop the sweet potato out of their skins and into a medium bowl.
6. Discard the skins.
7. Mash the potatoes until smooth.
8. Add the eggs, butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and pepper to taste. Whisk the mixture until smooth.
9. Butter an 8 by 8-inch casserole.
10. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the pan and sprinkle the top with the pecans.
11. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until a bit puffy.
12. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted from Foodista.com – The Cooking Encyclopedia Everyone Can Edit.