Farmhouse Chicken Pot Pie is the ultimate comfort food. This recipe is great anytime of the year. Dress it up for special occasions by adding mushrooms and baking in individual ramekins.
Pastry Crust Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar (for sweet pies only)
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons butter-flavored vegetable shortening, chilled
5 tablespoons ice-cold water
1 tablespoon vinegar
Pastry Crust Preparation:
1. Blend flour, sugar, and salt well in a large bowl. Cut the shortening into pea-sized pieces and work into flour mixture until crumbs form.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together cold water and vinegar. Gradually add the water mixture to the flour mixture until combined.
3. Shape the dough into two balls, cover in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough ball to a uniform thickness. Place one in a pie plate and trim the edges. Save the second for the top of the pie.
Pie Filling Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 –1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 cups cooked chicken, diced
2 potatoes, peeled, boiled, and cubed
1 1/2 cups fresh vegetables, cooked until tender-firm or 1 (10-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Melt butter in saucepan. Blend in flour, onion, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in the broth and cream. Return to heat and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
4. Add chicken, potatoes, and vegetables and remove from heat. Set aside.
5. Pour in filling into prepared bottom crust. Top with top crust. Score top in center to vent. Flute edges as desired. Brush crust with egg wash.
6. Cook uncovered in 425°F oven 30–35 minutes, or until golden brown.
Recipe reprinted from Foodista.com – The Cooking Encyclopedia Everyone Can Edit.